Saturday, February 4, 2012

High School Visit

During the week, I've been resting most of the time, so I've temporarily become a lazy person. I wake up a lot later than usual, and don't feel like doing much most of the time. During Friday morning, I was considering a visit to my high school. Since I left on Sunday, it would be my last chance before I headed to Australia. Part of me wanted to stay at home, but I decided to go. And it turned out to be a great experience, with some surprises too!

I went during their lunch time, and spent the entire lunch talking to Ms. Caldera, my Spanish teacher. We started off speaking in Spanish, but quickly switched to English. (kind of embarrassing...) We hadn't seen each other in over a year and a half. Maybe I changed a little over that time, because she said I looked more mature! Then my U.S. history teacher walked into the classroom and said the same thing! Yikes... visiting high school makes me feel old!

At the end of lunch, we were both leaving the classroom when we ran into another Spanish teacher, Ms. Gonzalez, who invited me to speak to her AVID class. This was a nice honor! She quieted the energetic class and introduced me and started asking me questions about my high school and college experiences. Some of the students asked questions too. I was completely unprepared but I tried to be as helpful as possible. The things I said ranged from "In high school, I focused on the activities that I enjoyed most." to "No, I do not have a girlfriend." At the end, Ms. Gonzalez told me to keep them updated on my trip to Australia, so I've found another use of this blog. (If you're reading this and you're from that class, hello!)

I also got to stop by and chat with my chemistry and physics teachers. After school, I went to the math team meeting. The American Mathematics Competitions start next week, so I watched them work on solve problems from previous years.

Our math team captain, Albert, explaining a geometry problem! (To be precise, another student solved the problem on the board, and Albert added some comments afterwards.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics